In Adi Shankaracharya’s, Crest Jewel of Discrimination, Viveka Chudamani, written in the 8th century, the student (shishya) puts forth seven questions. Within this 580 verse text, by one of Vedanta’s great luminaries, the teacher (acharya) responds to each question and in the process, reveals the totality of Vedantic teachings (shastra) and the path to liberation from our limiting psychological dependencies.
The Seven Questions:
- What is bondage or samsara?
- Where did samsara come from?
- How does this bondage survive?
- How do we get rid of this persistent samsara?
- What is anatma, the not-self?
- What is meant by paramatma, the real self?
- How can one differentiate between anatma and paramatma?
Listen to Swami Paramarthananda’s commentary on the Crest Jewel of Discrimination with the links below.
The entire 580 verses in 13 parts here.
Great thanks to Swami Paramarthananda, seen in the picture above, for sharing the teachings so beautifully.